Monday, February 20, 2012

Busy but not Productive

Things I have done recently. I have read three books: My Best Frenemy by Julie Bowe, Ivy and Bean by Annie Barrows (several times - my daughter loved it), and Princess Posey by Stephanie Greene. I found Princess Posey because I was looking at the different authors who had visited my kids' school, and Stephanie was one of those authors. Princess Posey is short - under 3,000 words, and the main character is in 1st grade. So this book would target a different age group then my story, but still good for getting a broader look at what is out there in children's chapter books.

I bought a book on editing, with the idea being that I will learn the mistakes I would make and need to fix BEFORE I make them and do it right the first time! Ha, ha... we will see. The name of the book is Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself into Print by Renni Browne and Dave King. I have to admit though, the reason I purchased this book is because it was the ONLY book on editing in the "how to write" section at Barnes and Noble. I just pulled it up on Amazon and it has a 4.7 out of 5 stars rating (178 reviews) so I am feeling good about the purchase!

I am up to about 4,450 words now. I jumped ahead to a chapter that will come later in the book. I am pretty sure this would not be the advised way to go about writing a book, but I am kind of winging it anyway. Ideally I would have an outline showing what happens in each chapter and write from there. Maybe this is something I should do now, as I do think it would help me focus. I have read advice that you should just get the entire first draft done before going back and making any changes, but I keep re-reading what I have so far and tweaking it... especially when I am not sure how I want to contine the story.

Lots of things have been keeping me away from writing. I am a digital scrapbooker and sometimes that is where my creative urges pull me. Birthdays... my son's this past Friday, my husband's yesterday, and my daughter's tomorrow. Treats to be made for the kids to bring to school, parties to plan and last-minute presents to buy. Spending time with the kids today, home from school for Presidents' Day. Snuggling on the couch watching TV with my husband... every year I say I don't need to watch American Idol and every year I end up watching it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment