Monday, October 15, 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Fablehaven by Brandon Mull


I normally don't read fantasy... well OK, except for Harry Potter and Twilight! But I do like to attend "Meet the Author" events and Brandon Mull came to our area this past week. As I have mentioned here before we have an awesome library system and a great organization that supports the library by handing out free books by the authors they have invited to speak. So I picked up my copy of Fablehaven and dove right in without knowing much about the series or the author.

Book Description: (from Amazon) Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep relative order among the greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. But when the rules get broken, powerful forces are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save their family, Fablehaven, and maybe even the world, Kendra and Seth must find the courage to do what they fear most...
 
Why it is marvelous: When I met Brandon this past week I told him I don't normally read fantasy but that I really enjoyed this book. I think that is because it is set in the real world, with two normal everyday kids as the main characters. And we are introduced to the fantasy element nice and slow. The reader discovers the magical world of Fablehaven right along with the two main protagonists, and this is a very interesting world to discover. The Fablehaven series deals with magical creatures we are used to, like fairies, demons, witches and trolls. But Brandon puts his own twist on them which pulls the reader in wanting to find out how this world works, and then when things go very wrong for Kendra and Seth, how mere humans could possibly prevail over the greatest evil at Fablehaven.
 
If I had the time I would definitely read on in this series as I am curious to go on another adventure with Kendra, Seth and their grandparents. Brandon's other popular series, Beyonders, leans even more toward the fantastical with a portal to another world via the mouth of a hippo and made-up races such as The Seed People who, when killed, can be reborn by planting a seed that pops out of the back of their head. My son seemed interested so we are now the proud owners of a signed copy of the first book in this series A World Without Heroes. But reader beware! From the reviews I see that this book is a bit gory and might be suited for a slightly higher age range.
 
It was interesting to hear Brandon speak about his professional writing and daydreaming... imagine getting paid to daydream! An interesting point he made was about the first book he wrote - at age 6! What was meaningful to him about that project was that he actually completed the book. He said lots of kids (adults too!) can start a story, that's easy. But only those who are dedicated will finish it! And his biggest pieces of advice to the kids in the audience was to keep writing.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
My son getting his books signed!
 



 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday (MMGM) was created by Shannon Messenger. To find other bloggers participating in MMGM go to her blog for a list of links.





20 comments:

  1. Fablehaven is on my list of books to read. I've heard a lot of people speak highly of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun read... I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much!

      Delete
  2. Fablehaven is on my TBR list too. And how fun your son got to meet with the author, great pics! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny b/c I don't think my son would have gone around the table and posed with him if Brandon hadn't *made* him... thanks Brandon! Hard to say no to a best-selling author! :-)

      Delete
  3. Fun! As I've shared with you, my daughter and I met Brandon earlier this year. He's so good at connecting with his readers and answering all their questions about his stories, writing, and the worlds and characters he creates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just went over to your blog to look for the page where you had pictures with authors and it is gone! I did enjoy him explaining each of his books and wished there could have been more time for questions. I asked one... if he would ever consider writing a contemporary. He said his mind doesn't really work that way but if he did it would definitely be humerous.

      Delete
  4. I love fantasy but have yet to read this book. Sounds like a lot of fun. Fantasies set in the real world are my favorite kind.

    Glad your son got to meet the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you love fantasy then you should love this one... seeing that I don't love fantasy but still loved it! :-)

      Delete
  5. I read the first book in this series and really liked it. I went to a book signing with Brandon and was amazed at how many kids were at the signing. I really want to read Beyonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were a lot of kids at this signing as well. And he interacts with them so nicely.

      Thanks for signing on as a follower!

      Delete
  6. How fun for you son. I need to add Fablehaven to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBR piles are nice, but sometimes I prefer to be surprised by what comes my way... like how I discovered Fablehaven via an e-mail sent out by my son's teacher about the upcoming author talk.

      Delete
  7. How cute!!! I love the pictures :)
    I must confess I've been waiting for someone on MMGM to feature Fablehaven. So, thank you Julie!
    Now I know for sure I will enjoy it since I'm an avid fantasy reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fablehaven sounds like a fantasy even a non-fantasy person like me would enjoy. I love that you took your son to the book signing. My mom took me to meet several authors when I was young and I can't help but think that had something to do with my wanting to become a writer. :)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take him in this case... it would have looked kind of funny to be the only adult (w/o a child) at this event! :-)

      Delete
  9. What an awesome review! I love Fablehaven and have read it to my 5th grade class for the past two years. I plan to read it again this year. They fall in love with it and many continue on with the series. I saw Brandon speak at a Barnes and Noble two years ago and it was awesome. Even more awesome- I went to middle school with him and we rode the bus together! He got the idea for Fablehaven in the town we lived in- Southbury, CT! It was great to reconnect with an old friend. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh neat story! I guess these books are extra special for you then... magical even! :-)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. My children and I loved listening to the first two books of the Fablehaven series audiobook. They are wonderful stories and we are looking forward to reading or listening to the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so fun you got to meet him! I like that this is a fantasy book set in the real world. Your son is absolutely adorable, by the way.

    ReplyDelete